29 December 2012

sugar and spice and everything nice.

This picture courtesy of my dad.
"Auntie Hannah laced her tea with rum, because it was only once a year."
-from A Child's Christmas in Wales by Dylan Thomas

---

A post dedicated to our edible treats this Christmas. Mind you, these are only the things for which I've got a linkable recipe. We also reveled in mashed potatoes with gravy, steamed green beans, buttery sauteed mushrooms, an array of meats and cheeses, dried fruit, spinach artichoke dip, mixed nuts, fresh pineapple, wine and beer . . . but you can just imagine those for yourself.

Roast Leg of Lamb: not exactly the recipe we used but this one has very similar flavors.
Brussels Sprout Gratin: this, by far, gets my vote for Best Item on the Dinner Table.
Tangy Cranberry Sauce: I didn't have enough orange juice so I put in 1/4 cup lemon juice as well.
Alfajores: again, not quite the recipe we used but it gives you the idea; ours includes lemon zest and calls for rolling the edges in coconut.
Cranberry Bars: I used King Arthur's gluten-free flour and a combination of cranberries and cherries, which was most excellent. These are quickly becoming my favorite cookie.
Sugared Plum Pudding with vanilla whipped cream: plums being entirely out of season, I substituted some roasted peaches that I'd frozen this past summer.
Cinnamon Vanilla Pecans: addictive.
Peppermint Fudge: seriously the easiest imaginable!
Bourbon Fudge: this was thanks to Luke, whose culinary endeavors often involve gratuitous alcohol, not that anyone's complaining . . . essentially the same fudge recipe, with less chocolate and 1/4 cup whiskey stirred in.


This picture has nothing to do with anything, except now you can see how my ultra-dignified siblings "dress up" for holiday dinners: in a mishmash of their actual wardrobes and things pulled out of the costume closet. Sometimes it even involves suits and monocles. Hey, when we celebrate, we celebrate.

1 comment: