14 January 2010

Housekeeping and Cranberries

I suppose a few things have changed since last post. That marriage bit, for example.

Yes, it finally happened, after all the hullaballo and worrying. It came off perfectly, in fact. I really got married: I said my vows, kissed a boy, cut the cake, and changed my name (though not yet legally. Do you know how much paperwork that involves??). And after a week in beautiful and historic Charleston, we're back in Lancaster to stay. I'm crazy about my husband and I couldn't be happier.

---

Housekeeping is fun. I say that after less than a week of doing it, so feel free to splatter your cynical predictions all over my greenhorn optimism, but I probably won't listen to you anyway and shall continue looking through the rosy glasses of a newlywed. So pooh.

In any case, I think it's wonderful that when God calls a woman to be a homemaker, he doesn't turn her into another creature entirely. He's been preparing her to do this for her entire life; her personality and gifts will blossom more fully in this new role, rather than being tossed out the window and replaced with something new. Of course, I expect to change a lot, and I also know that this job will demand more self-sacrifice than anything I have ever done (especially once children enter the picture). But still, I am excited. I am confident that God has equipped me with the ability to do this well, in a manner that glorifies Him. When He asks His children to take on reponsibilities, He always provides the grace to carry those responsibilities out. So, this will be a challenge-- and I like challenges.

---

Here is a very good recipe for cranberry sauce, one with less sugar and more . . . berry. Orange and ginger liven it up. It's a gorgeous dark red and goes perfectly with roast turkey, grilled lamb, New York style cheesecake, vanilla yogurt, a romaine-orange-havarti salad, or just plain. All by itself. In a bowl. With a spoon. Oh heavens.

(Here I am reminded of the scene in Shadowlands where C.S. Lewis inquires of his housekeeper, "Have you got any cranberry sauce?" The confused housekeeper, who has never heard of this American oddity, brusquely replies: "Well, you find me some cranberries, Mr. Lewis, and I'll sauce 'em.")

Tangy Cranberry Sauce


1 1/4 cups orange juice
2/3 cup white sugar
1 12 oz. bag fresh cranberries, rinsed and drained
zest of one medium orange
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

1) In small saucepan, bring orange juice to boil. Whisk in sugar until dissolved.
2) Add drained cranberries and stir. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 10 minutes; watch that it doesn't boil over the sides of the pan. Cranberries should start to pop and grow soft.
3) Stir again and simmer, uncovered, until you can mash the cranberries with a spoon. Mash them as you desire; some people like a smoother sauce, some prefer it with whole berries. Then stir in all remaining ingredients.
4) Remove from heat and let cool in pan. Refrigerate cooled sauce until serving time.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so so very happy for you! I'm certain that no matter what God calls you to in your new role as wife, you will succeed with beauty and grace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can hardly stand how cute you are. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) Hello Mrs. Randolph!
    It'll take me a bit to get used to that, so I'll have to say it as often as possible! Mrs. Randolph, I'm so excited for you in your housekeeping. God is so incredible to provide enough grace for each day and each new season. Christ is our rock through it all! :)
    I love you Mrs. Rebekah Randolph!
    And I am so enormously thankful I was able to be there to see you wed to your love! :)

    ReplyDelete