27 February 2015

Family snippets // Weekend linkage

Time is going by ever more quickly. That's good. It means that February is over (we survived!) and spring is coming down the pike. I am tired of staying inside, tired of the sameness, tired of the cold. We have a park just down the street and the first warm day, the girls and I will BE THERE.

We are gradually discovering Zoe's personality. For example, she's extremely cuddly: whereas by this point Ellie had already been sleeping in her crib for weeks, Zoe often refuses to stay asleep unless she's lying right next to Mama. Sometimes she is very loud, grunting and snorting in her dreams, but for the most part we don't mind having her with us. (After all, it's a lot better than listening to her scream unhappily in her crib.)

In addition to being a snuggle bug, Zoe is less amenable to routine than Ellie was. You never know what the next several hours will look like. Will she take lots of tiny naps, or a few long ones? Will she fuss and stay awake in the middle of the night, or snooze soundly with a couple of eating breaks? Who knows. She is challenging my desire for control, that's for sure. I like to know what's coming up, so I can prepare for it; with Zoe, I can't prepare much at all. I just need to relax, give her what she needs in the moment, and let go of my attempts to plan her life.

The sweetest thing about Zoe, right now, is how tightly she clings to my shirt while she nurses. I think she realizes This is Mommy. This is safe and wants to make sure I don't drift away.

Ellie has added several useful phrases to her vocabulary. "Is mine!" "Did it!" and "Is empty!" for example. She loves to talk and gets so excited when she figures out a new word, especially a complicated one like "breakfast" or "schoolbus."
. . . thus said the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel,
"In returning and rest you shall be saved;
in quietness and in trust shall be your strength."
-Isaiah 30:15
Here's an interesting post (and comments) on letting your kids talk to strangers. I've always thought that my policy will be "go right ahead and talk to people, just don't go anywhere with them."

A Plea for Innocence. "It can be dangerous to assume that we need to have a deep understanding of error in order to hold fast to what is true."

This guy is smart: selling Boston's snow!

All these recipes look great.

This is such a weird story: two babies switched at birth.

No comments:

Post a Comment