04 February 2013

thing #4: gratitude in the minute

My Sweet Rose by J.W. Waterhouse
Fourth sequel to this post. Goodness, there's much more to this series than I thought. Perhaps that always results from actively looking for God's work? :)
For thus said the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel,
"In returning and rest you shall be saved;
in quietness and in trust shall be your strength."
-Isaiah 30:15
By minute I mean both "measure of time" and "adjective denoting smallness."

In this period of frequent discomfort, I've learned to prize the tiniest moments of relief, to really rest in them. I have often spoiled such moments by worrying about future trials. (Sure, my face feels okay now, but what about tomorroooooow? and then I stress myself out and make everything worse.) Instead, God's taught me to enjoy each bit of peace He provides, praising Him for the gift so long as it lasts. A blessing need not be permanent to be enjoyed. At least, that's what I am finding.
"The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord."
-Job 1:21
Even something as apparently insignificant as a cool, refreshing breeze deserves gratitude. A fleeting grace is still a grace.

Also, I am indeed obsessed with Pre-Raphaelite paintings. Waterhouse seems to have one for every post in this series, so eh, why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment