20 July 2012

Weekend linkage

Me: I think it's dumb to be content with mediocre.
Jared: Well, you are not mediocre.
Me: You are not dumb.

---

Reading on the subway! I loved seeing the variety of books people choose to read, from Nietzche to Dickens to the Talmud.

Cookie Monster improves upon Carly Rae Jepsen (which, admittedly, wasn't a hard job).

The Chap Olympiad, London's Annual Contest of Gentlemanly Prowess. Sports include butler-racing and cucumber sandwich discus; Algernon would approve. (I bookmarked this especially for my brothers, but no one should be deprived of the spectacle of grown men jousting with umbrellas.)

Interesting article on what type of aid is really needed in Africa: why is contraception the priority for certain foundations?

Also concerning children, a fascinating take on New York nannies. There is no way I could devalue the contribution these women make to their charges' lives--and yet at the end of the day, it saddens me to know that the parents are so far removed from their children's daily existence.

The family who didn't know they were poor--what a great story.

1 comment: