27 June 2012

Well Written Wednesdays: I thought you said Provisions

"We are all going on an Expedition," said Christopher Robin, as he got up and brushed himself . . .

"Going on an Expotition?" said Pooh eagerly. "I don't think I've ever been on one of those. Where are we going to on this Expotition?"
{Ernest Shepard}

"Expedition, silly old Bear. It's got an 'x' in it."

"Oh! said Pooh. "I know." But he didn't really.

"We're going to discover the North Pole."

"Oh!" said Pooh again. "What is the North Pole?" he asked.

"It's just a thing you discover," said Christopher Robin carelessly, not being quite sure himself.

"Oh! I see," said Pooh. "Are bears any good at discovering it?"

"Of course they are. And Rabbit and Kanga and all of you. It's an Expedition. That's what an Expedition means. A long line of everybody. You'd better tell the others to get ready, while I see if my gun's all right. And we must all bring Provisions."

"Bring what?"

"Things to eat."

"Oh!" said Pooh happily. "I thought you said Provisions. I'll go and tell them." And he stumped off.

-from An Expotition to the North Pole, by A.A. Milne

---

We're going on an expotition to Maine this coming week. Jared and I and my entire family, with plenteous provisions in tow. I am bringing the complete stories of Winnie-the-Pooh (plus Milne's poems for children) to occupy us during the car ride and any chance rainy days. These stories rank among the family favorites--Milne's childlike whimsy wed to grownup snark never fails to make us laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment