23 March 2012

Weekend linkage

This would be fun to see!

What. These are paintings?! I would have guessed photographs.

The jackrabbits on the left are among a collection of beautiful works in ink by George Boorujy. Check the artists' website for even more!

Colors are wonderful things, and at times, so are their names. Here are 10 you may not have said in a while. (After years of running across it in British novels and being too lazy to look it up, I finally learned what "puce" means.)

ALARMING. And I thought I had a big mouth.

Some vintage ads with, shall we say, less than flattering perspectives on women. The comments on this post are interesting too, with some readers finding it hilarious, others offensive, others turning the tables and pointing out today's tendency to demean men in place of women. What do you think?

(Personally, I find the ads sad as they reflect attitudes of the era, yet on the whole, amusing because I have some distance from them. I've never-- okay, very rarely-- been patronized on account of my womanhood. So to me, "distinguishing between femininity and masculinity" doesn't automatically equal "a power struggle." In my experience, recognizing roles and differences does not mean elevating one over another. At least, it doesn't have to.)

This song gives me goosebumps every. single. time.

Deliver us, Ofra Haza and Eden Riegel by Soundtrack on Grooveshark 

p.s. The bread and blueberry fool mentioned last week were just gawjis, and oh, and they tasted good too. Besides that, the shepherd's pie, and some Dubliner cheddar, we filled a growler with Diabolical Doctor Wit from Spring House Brewing Company. If you live around here and you're a beer person-- we recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment