12 December 2011

if you're bored with basic

I guess peas are one of those things you either love or hate, like Kalamata olives or anchovies. Or Brussels sprouts.

(For the record, I love Kalamatas and sprouts, but have never even tried anchovies. I can't bring myself to consume something with eyes . . . I know I should just shut mine and give it a go. Maybe someday.)

Peas are simple. Round and green and slightly sweet. One of the only vegetables, too, that seems to come almost-exclusively frozen. I'd like to hunt down fresh ones next spring, but for now, I am happy with what I find in the freezer.

Steamed and tossed with butter, they're already perfect. But if you ever want something slightly more exotic, here is something I like to do.

It is simple, flavorful, and entirely inauthentic.

---

Indian-Spiced Peas 

a couple tablespoons of olive oil
one medium onion, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
16-oz bag frozen peas
1/2 cup water
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
curry powder to taste*

1) Heat olive oil over medium-low, in pot large enough to hold peas. Add diced onion; stir and cook for half a minute. Add garlic, reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 8-10 minutes or until onion is soft.
2) Add frozen peas and water; bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat to low, and simmer for 6-7 minutes or until tender and bright green.
3) Drain excess water. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and curry powder.

*Obviously you want to make sure you've got a nice curry powder, as it will figure prominently in the final flavor. I like mine pungent, savory, and deep deep yellow.

{image: the ingredients for curry powder, from Port City Foodies}

No comments:

Post a Comment