24 October 2011

cloudy with a chance of meatballs

"The only thing that was really different about Chewandswallow was its weather. It came three times a day, at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Everything that everyone ate came from the sky . . ."

Best bedtime story ever.

---

This recipe-- like roast chicken and chocolate cake and many other wonderful things-- I learned from my mother. I've tried a few other meatball recipes but, honest to golly, none are as good as this one. I don't know why I bothered looking. :)

Use in spaghetti or soup, make a cream gravy and serve over mashed potatoes, stick them in a roll for meatball sandwiches. They freeze well so are ideal for big-batch cooking. 

---

Best Ever Meatballs
(I think the original recipe came from a cooking magazine and was titled 'Swedish Meatballs') 

1 pound ground beef
1/2 pound ground turkey
3/4 cup finely ground oats
1/2 cup minced white onion
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup milk

1) Preheat oven to 350 and lightly coat two large baking panswith nonstick spray.
2) Combine all ingredients thoroughly. I use the Kitchen Aid. If mixture seems dry, add more milk until mixture is moist and soft but not too sticky to handle.
3) Shape into small meatballs, about 3/4 inch in diameter, and arrange in single layer in pans. Place close together but do not allow to touch. I can fit a single recipe into two 9x13 pans but you may need to bake in installments.
4) Bake for 13-15 minutes. Allow to cool completely before freezing.

Linked to Simple Lives Thursday.

1 comment:

  1. I love that book. The movie was just plain annoying.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete