03 June 2011

Not of diamonds and gold that I dream

I think God was surely at His most supreme
At the time He created strawberries and cream.
It is not of diamonds and gold that I dream,
But of all I can eat of strawberries and cream.

It's my favorite treat, and I'm wondering now,
Did first come the berries and then come the cow?
What ever the order, they make a great team
The sun-drenched strawberries and rich, Jersey cream.

My mouth starts to water, my eyes brightly gleam,
Whenever I think of strawberries and cream.
I'll hold my darling in highest esteem,
If he'll but provide me strawberries and cream.

A food for the gods it surely would seem,
They can dine every day on strawberries and cream.
But even the poor if they're willing to glean 
Can have their full share of strawberries and cream.

Strawberries and cream, strawberries and cream.
I never will tire of strawberries and cream.
 
-Joyce Johnson
 
--- 

Yesterday morning I picked strawberries and came home with a lot of red: 35 quarts of beautiful berries and a lovely sunburn.

Most of the strawberries got flash-frozen for smoothies, cakes, crumbles, muffins, and compote over pancakes and waffles. A touch of June stored up for the winter months. Yay! But of course, several quarts stayed out of the freezer for fresh eating over the next few days.

Here's a perfect way to enjoy strawberries.Whisk together a cup of creme fraiche with some vanilla, sugar, and lemon zest. Dip washed, dried strawberries in your vanilla-lemon cream... pop in your mouth and savor the brilliant flavor of the season.

(Make your own creme fraiche this way.)

No comments:

Post a Comment