03 May 2011

Just some good bread

Yesterday I went to Miller's Natural Foods, an Amish-run natural grocery/bulk foods store near Bird-in-Hand.* It's a bit of a hike so I try to make the trip as infrequently as possible. :) Among my purchases yesterday-- rice, walnuts, banana chips, and other such glamorous items-- was a small bag of organic steel-cut oats. I had never used them before but thought it was about time they entered my kitchen.

When I got home, I decided to use some in this oatmeal bread, which I discovered some time ago but in which I've simply substituted rolled oats. Well. The steel-cut version was even better.

This bread makes no claim to authentic Irishness. It does, however, make a serious claim to authentic deliciousness. Perfect alongside vegetable sausage soup, with a salad, or toasted with butter and honey. We're both big fans of this one and I really should bake it more often.

Irish Ploughman's Oatmeal Bread
(originally from Prudence Pennywise)


2 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1/2 cup unbleached white flour
1/2 cup steel-cut oats
2 tablespoons raw sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup plain yogurt
1 cup milk
1 large egg


1) Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease 9x5 bread pan.
2) Stir flours, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in medium bowl.
3) Whisk yogurt, milk, and egg together in small bowl. Add to dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
4) Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour, or until tests done. Remove to wire rack and let cool in pan about 5 minutes, then invert and let cool on rack completely. Eat while fresh-- for some reason, perhaps the baking soda, it gets a little bitter after a few days.

*If you're not from Lancaster, yup, that is really the name of the town. We have some good ones around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment