19 July 2011

Time can work wonders

clock face

Sometimes I try a new recipe, taste it, and think, Hmm. It's okay, I guess. Good enough to finish it off, but probably not repeat-worthy. But then I let it sit for a while, and when I pull the dish out again . . . Wow. Wow. This is good. GOODGOODGOOD. And I am so glad I waited.

That's what happened with this flavorful, beautiful chickpea salad. It just needed to mellow a bit. I'd never thrown together these flavors before, but I love the results.

Give-It-Time Spicy Chickpea Salad
(taken, sort of, from Joy the Baker) 

1 15-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 medium carrot, peeled and shredded
1 whole serrano pepper, minced
zest and juice from half a lemon
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
1 teaspoon raw honey
salt to taste

Mix it all together. Refrigerate overnight. Enjoy. :)

{image credit: Natalia F}

4 comments:

  1. I believe the proprer culinary term is allowing the ingredients to: "Get Friendly"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebekah, I love your blog...I save all the recipes and housekeeping tips to look up later (when, theoretically, I will have time...). I have a question; do you have any recommended websites/blogs for cooking and housekeeping that you think every wife should read? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi! I LOVE that you have a new last name. Congrats to you and Alex. :)

    That's a good question! I will think about it and answer later.

    ReplyDelete