19 July 2011

In a land of drought and deep darkness

Hear the word of the Lord, O house of Jacob, and all the clans of the house of Israel.
Thus says the Lord:
"What wrong did your fathers find in me that they went far from me,
and went after worthlessness, and became worthless?
They did not say, ‘Where is the Lord who brought us up from the land of Egypt,
who led us in the wilderness, in a land of deserts and pits,
in a land of drought and deep darkness, 
in a land that none passes through, where no man dwells?’
And I brought you into a plentiful land to enjoy its fruits and its good things.
But when you came in, you defiled my land and made my heritage an abomination.
. . . my people have changed their glory for that which does not profit.
Be appalled, O heavens, at this; be shocked, be utterly desolate,
declares the Lord, for my people have committed two evils:
they have forsaken me, the fountain of living waters,
and hewed out cisterns for themselves, broken cisterns that can hold no water."

-from Jeremiah 2

No comments:

Post a Comment