05 November 2010

His wonders to perform

God moves in a mysterious way
His wonders to perform;
He plants His footsteps in the sea
And rides upon the storm.

---

Sometimes I see God's providence in very small ways. It's evident just in how He orders my steps throughout an ordinary day. It doesn't take a "miracle" to show His providence, if only I open my eyes to it.

---

Deep in unfathomable mines
Of never failing skill
He treasures up His bright designs
And works His sov’reign will.

---

Two days ago I went shopping, and at the last minute decided to alter my plans, one store instead of another. As I walked out of that store, I saw an elderly lady and her daughter coming up the uneven sidewalk-- and a second later, that lady had fallen flat on her back. Thankfully, she had nothing worse than a goose egg, but I stayed until we could find someone to help us get her back on her feet (we didn't trust ourselves not to drop her!).

It was the middle of the day and hardly anyone was around. Just as I was about to give up waiting and go on a search, up walked a friendly young man asking what was wrong. "I'm a nurse," he said cheerfully. "Here, let me give you a hand."

Goodness. Talk about providential.

---

Ye fearful saints, fresh courage take;
The clouds ye so much dread
Are big with mercy and shall break
In blessings on your head.

---

I saw God's kind hand of provision again today, more than once. For example: as I was getting ready to walk out the door to run a few errands, my sister-in-law Lori called me with a request. Their car wouldn't start, but the library books were due today, and was there any way I could return them? Why yes. Yes, I could. Because wouldn't you know, the library was literally first on my errand list. Amazing.

Then later on in the afternoon, for the first (and probably not the last) time ever, this thoroughgoing blonde locked the keys in the car. With only a dying cell phone to help. But who answered her phone the first time, dropped what she was doing, and came to un-strand me? My friendly neighborhood Kiera. (Thaaaank youuuuu.) So here I am at home, able to make dinner at a reasonable time rather than still shivering in the Marshall's parking lot.

---

His purposes will ripen fast,
Unfolding every hour;
The bud may have a bitter taste,
But sweet will be the flow’r.

1 comment:

  1. Rebekah, I just read this now. I love hearing others recount God's goodness in their daily lives. You spur me on to do the same. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete