02 September 2010

At peace among yourselves

"Finally, brothers, rejoice. Aim for restoration, comfort one another, agree with one another, live in peace; and the God of love and peace will be with you."
-2 Corinthians 13:11

"Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others."
-Philippians 2:3-4

"Be at peace among yourselves. And we urge you, brothers, admonish the idle, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with them all. See that no one repays anyone evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to everyone."
-1 Thessalonians 5:14-15

How short I fall of these standards. Daily I disagree with others, count myself more significant than anyone else, grow impatient with "the weak," and seek to do good to myself rather than the people around me. My priorities are at the top of the list. In fact, they're the only thing on the list.

Yet there's hope!

This humble state of mind "is [mine] in Christ Jesus, who, though He was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing . . . becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross" (Philippians 2:5-8).

Now that I am an heir of eternal life with Him, I am also being sanctified by His Spirit. His love is becoming more deeply rooted in me. I pray that someday I'll be a worthy reflection of the Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment