18 March 2010

the only reason my brothers haven't disowned me . . .

. . . I'm pretty sure, is that I like to make these oatmeal chocolate chip bars and give them some. If it weren't for these, my enjoyment of popped collars, imagist poetry, and the occasional shot of Taylor Swift might kick me to the familial curb.

By the way, these ship well. Send them to hungry college students and you'll win hearts forever. I know.

---

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars

1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 large eggs
3 cups quick oats
1 cup unbleached white flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips*

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees; lightly grease a 9x13 pan.
2) Cream softened butter and sugar in mixing bowl.
3) Add vanilla and eggs, and beat thoroughly.
4) Stir together oats, flour, baking soda, and salt in separate small bowl.
5) Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture and stir until thoroughly combined.
6) Stir in chocolate chips.
7) Spread dough evenly in greased 9x13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Cool and cut into bars. Gobble.

*I like using mini chips. They spread through the bars more evenly, and don't get in the way of slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment