31 January 2013

thing #3: blessed

Lamia by J.H. Waterhouse
Third sequel to this post.
Love is patient and kind . . . Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.
-1 Corinthians 13:7-8
I seriously cannot figure out how I ended up with him.

This man who comes home every day glad to see me. This man who, when I put my hands over my face in embarrassment, pulls them away and insists on kissing me hello. Who holds me while I cry in frustration. Who tells me that I'm beautiful when I feel anything but. Who assures me that he loves me no matter what I look like.

He knew when he married me that my skin was like this, and he didn't care. Since then it's gotten better, gotten worse. I've had sleepless nights and morning meltdowns. In all of that he's cared for me with compassion, more than fulfilling his promise to cherish his wife in sickness as well as health.

I would not have chosen this trial for us, but I will say that because of it, I love my husband more. His gentle, faithful response to my pain has repeatedly amazed me. His character has been illuminated by this challenge, and it is a grace to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment