07 January 2013

Turning Island fish

Fresh Fish sign in Monterey, CA.
{image credit: keanmatthams}
Jared says that when (not if, mind you) we open our cafe, this will be on the menu. So there. What more incentive do you need?

---

Turning Island Fish
(enormously adapted from Whole Food for the Whole Family)

1 lb mild white fish fillets, preferably wild-caught*
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup minced red onion
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons minced fresh herbs**
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika

1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Pat fish fillets dry and arrange in single layer on baking sheet.
2) Whisk together remaining ingredients and divide evenly among fillets; spread into a thin layer over each.
3) Bake in preheated oven for 15-17 minutes, until fish flakes easily with a fork. (And if your oven runs hot, try a slightly lower temperature so that the topping does not burn.)

*For a few of the reasons I buy wild fish rather than farmed, read this and this ("industrial strains" of tilapia? urgh). Also, I've found that fish with thick fillets (such as cod) work better in this recipe than very flat fish like tilapia or flounder, which have more chance of burning or getting overdone.
**Dill, marjoram, basil, parsley, and oregano have all been great. I mix it up every time. And yes, fresh herbs are really important here.

1 comment:

  1. Confession: I am a fish hater. Butttttttt James and I are resolved to eat more fish in 2013 (meaning, I am, and I do the cooking) because it is so good for you, so I will give this a try. He also hates mayonnaise... so I will keep that a secret! : )

    ReplyDelete