29 May 2012

potato salad, the second time round

French Potato Salad
{image credit: Delishhh}
I first posted this potato salad recipe in August 2009. Here it is again, right at the start of picnic season, with better formatting and clearer directions. Obviously it's a good one because I am still making it three years later . . . and the recipe has been requested numerous times by friends and family. Now I have a nice blog post to which I can direct them. :)

This is ideal for outdoor summer events, because unlike mayonnaise based potato salads, it won't go bad if it sits around in hot weather. Also, if you are like me, your herb seedlings are beginning to run riot and you need some way to use them up. (My tarragon and marjoram are having a competition to see who can grow the fastest.)

--- 

French Potato Salad

2 lbs. redskin potatoes, scrubbed and chopped into bite-sized pieces
1/4 cup red onion, minced
1 small green pepper, diced
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
minced fresh herbs, to taste (I would recommend parsley and tarragon, but basil, dill, and thyme are also excellent depending on the flavor you desire)
salt to taste (it will need plenty)
black pepper to taste

1) Place potatoes in large pot of water, bring to boil, and cook until just tender (you don't want them at all mushy).
2) Meanwhile, place diced onion in the bottom of a large colander. When potatoes are done, pour into colander to drain; the hot water will take the edge off the onion.
3) Tip potatoes and onion into large bowl. Add green pepper and garlic, and pour olive oil and vinegar over top. Toss to coat. Add additional olive oil as necessary (you'll need more than 1/4 cup, but I never measure the exact amount).
4) Add herbs, salt, and pepper to taste. Toss to combine. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Shared on Simple Lives Thursday.

2 comments:

  1. I like this potato salad...
    Much better than the mustard colored mayonnaise soaked tubers that I have sampled at some picnics!!!!!!!!

    daddus

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this potato salad...
    Much better than the mustard colored mayonnaise soaked tubers that I have sampled at some picnics!!!!!!!!

    daddus

    ReplyDelete