15 May 2012

kale is super.

I hadn't tried kale until about a year ago, when I bought a bag and stuck a few curly handfuls in the blender with yogurt and bananas.

(What are you doing? said my husband. Green smoothie, I said. Try some? No thanks, he said, and has remained skeptical despite my drinking one at least once weekly and suffering no ill effects. I like the fresh flavor. You just need to avoid overloading on the green-- no good-- and add an apple or banana or other especially sweet fruit.)

Kale, like broccoli and blueberries, has been designated a superfood by certain health mavens. But as with broccoli and blueberries, I eat it because I like it, rather than out of any sense of healthful duty. Soup! Quiche! Salads! Chips! And yes, smoothies! Gimme.

Super 8 by Michael Giacchino on Grooveshark 

Of course, it's nice to know that I'm shoving lots of nutrients down my gullet in the meantime. :)

p.s. This recipe also looks awesome.

--- 

Garlicky Kale
(inspired by No Recipes) 

2 tablespoons butter
1 small red onion, diced
2 large cloves garlic, minced
8 cups kale, washed and chopped roughly into small pieces*
2 tablespoons white wine (I like cooking sherry in this)
salt to taste
optional: a splash of lemon juice

1) Melt butter in heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute for 1 minute. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until soft and translucent.
2) Add garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
3) Raise heat to medium. Add chopped kale, wine, and a pinch of salt; cover and cook until wilted (only 5 minutes if you like your kale to retain a lot of body, but longer if you'd like it tender, more like spinach). Season with additional salt to taste, and lemon juice if you want. Yum.

*I use curly kale because that's what I can usually find, but I'm sure lacinato would work well too.

Shared on Simple Lives Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment