02 December 2010

Visions of sugarplums

Christmas cookies are ubiquitous in December, and I figure that I should throw my (chef) hat into the ring. Though I don't want to go overboard with cookie baking-- there are only two of us, and sugar overload is exactly what I don't want during germ season-- I'm not a complete wet blanket. Holidays need some dessert, and fun dessert at that. Time to stock up on butter!

But what to make? So many recipes calling my name! I decided to limit myself to three kinds of cookies, and methinks I've settled on the favored trio.

Toasted coconut shortbread, because my husband is a coconut fiend. Okay, maybe I am too. And shortbread is awesome . . . I made shortbread cookies for my senior thesis presentation, and I'm firmly convinced that they were the reason so many people came. Butter wins. (Like I said, we'll be stocking up on it.)

Chocolate mint squares, because they were totally delicious last time and I need an excuse to make them again. Besides, they keep well in the freezer, so I don't have to worry about leftovers. Come to think of it, all of these will do just fine in the freezer. Sweet.

Gingerbread cutouts, because HELLO, it's CHRISTMAS and you MUST HAVE GINGERBREAD MEN. There will also be a gingerbread house, since that's my yearly tradition with Rachel and tradition-breaking is positively prohibited. This year I want to shingle it with banana chips and make a chocolate espresso bean walkway.

I did say three, didn't I? Darn. I'd really like to try my hand at truffles.

Okay, maybe four.

No comments:

Post a Comment