14 September 2009

Mellifluous Mondays: Our Secret, Only Ours

"At a Dinner Party" by Amy Levy

With fruit and flowers the board is deckt,
The wine and laughter flow;
I'll not complain-- could one expect
So dull a world to know?

You look across the fruit and flowers,
My glance your glances find.
It is our secret, only ours,
Since all the world is blind.

I think that unspoken confidence-- the communication of trust and affection, without the burden of words-- is one of the greatest treasures a relationship could yield. It's good just to be quiet with the ones you love.

1 comment:

  1. :
    I miss our silences and our talks-oh Teapot the major...
    "As for the saints in the land, they are the excellent ones in whom is all my delight."-Ps 16:3

    :) there is my "smart remark" ;)

    ReplyDelete