22 June 2008

Attack of the Zucchini Monster


It's that time of year again. Zucchini takes over the garden, and everyone suddenly becomes very generous. Neighbors, friends, and relatives are all eager to "bless" you with a free grocery bag of zucchini. I hate saying no to free food, but as I'm one of the only people in my family who likes zucchini, I have to get creative. First I sauteed them with garlic, olive oil, and thyme, but everyone under the age of 20 turned up his or her respective nose. Then I put them on pizza, gaining a few more thumbs-up, but still not universally approved. So what to do with these long green treasures? Make muffins, of course... Rebekah's solution to everything!
.
I baked eight dozen of these the other day. I don't think I've ever used that much flour in my life. :) But they freeze well, so it's all good. They're absolutely scrumptious, and even the veggie-phobes in our house love them.
.
ZUCCHINI MONSTER MUFFINS
.
1 cup quick oats
1 cup unbleached white flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg
1 cup unpeeled grated zucchini
1 egg, beaten with fork
1/3 cup canola oil
1/2 cup milk
1/2 t. vanilla
.
Combine dry ingredients in large bowl and make well in center.
Combine wet ingredients in separate bowl.
Pour wet ingredients into dry, and stir just until combined.
Spoon into 12 sprayed or greased muffin cups.
Bake at 400 for 18-20 minutes, until they test done.
Remove to rack to cool.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment