22 July 2014

a simple homemade pizza sauce

As I mentioned in last week's family snippets, pizza is often on our menu these days. I love using summer veggies as toppings. (And one nice thing about pizza is that you don't have to use meat to make it delicious . . . we eat a lot of meat, and I don't have a problem with that in principle, but the budget does.)

Another nice thing about pizza is having the leftovers cold for breakfast the next morning. I know this disgusts a certain segment of the population, but I belong to the segment that likes it.

Anyway, to make good pizza you need a good sauce. Here is mine. I hope to can a lot of it this summer, though of course I will have to add several extra steps to get from fresh Romas to cooked diced tomatoes.

---

Simple Pizza Sauce
(based on a recipe from The Kitchn)

1 15-oz can diced tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried sage
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1 clove garlic, peeled

Combine all ingredients in blender or food processor, and blend until thoroughly combined. (If your blender cannot handle whole garlic cloves, mince the garlic beforehand. I use the sauce/dressing setting on the Blendtec.) Makes enough for two to three large pizzas. Refrigerate or freeze.

3 comments:

  1. Gina Witmer Plain28 July, 2014 22:27

    What steps do you take to get there (from fresh to "canned")? And could I use fresh herbs instead of dried? Seems like a silly question, but I don't know the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebekah Daphne29 July, 2014 07:47

    I'm not sure about the fresh herbs vs. dried question. I think that the website Food In Jars would have an answer for you!

    I haven't canned sauce before but it looks quite easy: peel and cook tomatoes, strain out seeds, cook it down a bit more so it's thicker, then add the seasonings and can in boiling water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina Witmer Plain29 July, 2014 23:24

    Thanks. Wasn't going to be so ambitious as to actually "can" any tomatoes (and I can't seem to grow any worth mentioning on my condo deck, so it might not be advantageous....although I guess there are inexpensive sources), but I just meant, what ARE the extra steps you mentioned you would need to take? But I guess that is simple: Peel, dice and cook. Haha.

    ReplyDelete