24 March 2014

crispy almond crackers

Confession: I have a wickedly insatiable sweet tooth. Who has ever stopped with a single square of chocolate or one small scoop of ice cream? I sure haven't. When I want to eat dessert, it better be of mammoth proportions, and I'll probably go back for more.

If I don't want to stuff myself with sweets, I can't even start down that slope . . . and so I have been trying to come up with snacks without a load of added sugar. I am less likely to crave a cookie in the middle of the morning if I accustom myself to eating savory things instead.

These crackers, for example. They're nice topped with a slice of pear or some cream cheese, or maybe tuna and mustard. Make sure you roll them as thin as possible-- although thick crackers still taste good, they don't bake as well and can feel a bit "dusty."


Crispy Almond Crackers
(inspired by a recipe from Better With Butter)

2 cups almond meal (not almond flour)
1/2 cup stone-ground cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
big pinch of red pepper flakes
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons olive oil

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2) Stir together dry ingredients in large mixing bowl. Add eggs and olive oil and stir to combine into a stiff, moist dough.
3) Place dough on parchment lined sheet. Using a small rolling pin or a straight-siding drinking glass, roll dough out as thinly as possible: aim for an eighth of an inch thick. Using a pizza cutter or long knife, cut dough into small squares, about 1 inch in diameter. Pull squares apart slightly.
4) Bake crackers for 15 minutes. Check to see how they're doing, and if they aren't crisp and ever so slightly browned at the edges, they need a little more time. Keep a close eye on them so that they don't burn! Let them cool on a rack once they're finished, and store in an airtight jar.

No comments:

Post a Comment