22 November 2013

Weekend linkage // 7QT #15

Linked up with Conversion Diary.

1)

"Koalas are big fuzzy jungle lobsters."
-maybe J did not pay attention in zoology class

2)

Ellie has learned how to crawl. ALARM. It's only army-crawling-- she looks like a spastic inchworm-- and it's very slow. But still. My baby can move.

3)

This post from Tim Challies is probably the best thing I've ever read on modesty.
I am not going to give you a checklist for how to dress with modesty. I can’t. It would not be possible to create a list that accounts for all situations, all cultures, all people. Each of us needs to consider how to love one another and bring glory to God through the clothing we wear. Each of us needs to consider how we can dress in such a way that we do not contradict or detract from the message we proclaim.
The ultimate solution to immodesty is not a list of rules or a checklist; the solution is the gospel, the good news of Jesus Christ.
4)

The politics and economics of Harry Potter. "Rowling’s free market is tremendously cramped. Instead of a fantastical private sector, most of Rowling’s wizards, in some form or another, work for the Ministry of Magic—that is to say, the state . . . In a world where magic exists with an immense capacity for human flourishing, a good percentage of wizards become magical bureaucrats. This is a terrific failure of imagination."

The comments are also delightfully nerdy.

5)

Silly links time:
 

This pop song is too philosophical!

Best Amazon reviewer ever?

Hilarious reasons for getting detention.

6)

This is darling: newborn twins clinging to one another. It seems like they must have been positioned that way in the womb.

7)

After mounting a long resistance to the charms of musical "reality" shows like American Idol, I have become mildly obsessed with NBC's The Voice. It started back in March when I was spending hours on end nursing a newborn-- I needed something to amuse me, and this fit the bill. We don't have a real TV but I watch episodes on Hulu the day after. There's even a dude from Lancaster on this season, which gives me a semi-patriotic reason to watch.

Anyhoodle, one of the contestants recently sang "My Kind of Love" by Emeli Sande. (Because I am not up to date on my muzak, I'd never heard it before.) What a good song. And it strikes me that many women could sing these lyrics truthfully. Though women have acquired a reputation for being emotional and impulsive, our love typically burns long and steady.
You won't see me at the parties, I guess I'm just no fun
I won't be turning up the radio, singing baby you're the one

But don't ever question if my heart beats only for you
I think of countless wives who demonstrate this "kind of love." Without glitz or glam, they come through when nobody else does, and prove repeatedly that their heart is wholly given to that one man.

Not to say men aren't capable of steadfast love, because they certainly are. But I think that many women show love in this quiet, determined, understated way-- a way that contradicts their popular reputation as romantic, head-in-the-clouds drama queens. And that deserves to be honored. My meandering for today. :)

4 comments:

  1. Ah, the baby moves! It's such a wonderful . . . and terrifying time. ;-) If you're at all like me you will forever be worried now about cords, hot things, small things, did I sweep the kitchen, good grief, it's time to vacuum AGAIN . . . Have fun! I love that picture of the twins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice voice that Emeli Sande

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joanne @ our abc life22 November, 2013 22:48

    Crawlers have been known to scale the stairs in our house!!! Have fun with your mobile child : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to follow the "best Amazon reviewer" link and I was not disappointed. It just goes to prove, if a person is truly a writer at heart, you can't keep her down. Wish I had done it first!

    ReplyDelete