21 June 2013

Weekend linkage

"Do you want some dark chocolate? You need your anti-accidents for the day."
-J

---

Life with Ellie: Right now, the best part of being a mom is when I come into the room and Ellie starts in with her leg-kicking, arm-flapping, huge-smiling, practically-hyperventilating am I ever happy to see you!!! routine. She can entertain herself for quite a while, which is nice when I need to do something that is difficult/impossible with baby in tow, but as soon as she spots me again it's party time.

I love that she recognizes me, that she notices when I'm gone. I know that some people can get annoyed by how clingy babies are and how they depend so fully on their moms, but it honestly doesn't bother me. I like being needed.

p.s. I've chronicled my husband's quotable quips for more than a year now. Very entertaining, yes, but I can't wait until Ellie is old enough to talk, because then you will be getting posts like this. (Camp Patton is the best for laughs.)

---

Global grandmothers and their signature dishes.

Twelve speeches nobody ever heard. Very interesting!

This video has been making the rounds, and odds are you've seen it, but she does make some excellent points. I like how she doesn't try to set out certain rules of modesty but instead speaks to the desire behind a modest or immodest appearance. I think that is the right place to start. (Also, I appreciate her statement that we can celebrate beauty and promote modesty-- in fact, the two go hand in hand. A lot of modesty lectures omit the truth that yes, women are beautiful and that's a good thing. Which leaves a girl feeling as if any attempt to look pretty or to find flattering clothing is "flaunting herself." Boo.)

The frugal economist's guide to eating out. "Hip people do not always have superb taste in food."

4 comments:

  1. Could you put together one post of all your husband's quotable quips? Although, that might break Blogger with all that coolness in one post.

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can we pause for a moment to discuss how cute Ellie's nose is? Because I don't feel like it is getting enough coverage.

    Also, I loved the modesty woman, especially because she is super beautiful and was wearing a sleeveless shirt as she spoke. Modesty doesn't have to be frumpy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Sara I would love to see Jared's quips all in one place. And goodness your little girl is soooo cute. =)

    Carol Joy

    ReplyDelete