21 December 2012

Weekend linkage

Merry Christmas from our little trio!
"Chicken comes from cows!"
-my four-year-old niece

---

Pregnancy happenings: I don't bend past 45 degrees anymore, and I finally put away all of my pre-pregnancy clothing (not so much because it doesn't fit, but because I don't want to stretch it past the point of no return!). Also, this is the first week that Tadpole actually felt heavy. Not by much, but I can tell that I am carrying something in front of me . . . fifteen weeks to go, and she sure won't get any lighter. :)

Ways in which I am being a model pregnant lady: eating gobs of protein, sleeping a lot, taking my folate and cod liver oil, not gaining too much weight (knock on wood).

Ways in which I am going rogue: putting raw eggs in my smoothies, ordering sushi, sleeping on my back, declining the flu shot, declining the glucose test. I'm so glad that I have a midwifery practice that lets me use my brain instead of demanding that I stick to a particular protocol.

---

A delightful Slate article on marriage: "I look particularly at the women in those couples. They are not glamorous. There are no Marlene Dietrichs, Marilyn Monroes, or Vivien Leighs among them . . . one must assume that they are, like most people, average. But to the man whose hand or arm she is holding, she is not average. She is the whole world to him. They may argue occasionally, or even frequently. He may have an eye for the cute intern in his office. But that is superficial. Fundamentally, she is the most valuable thing in his life."

Kate Beaton of Hark, A Vagrant writes some history quizzes. The Norman Invasion!

"The atheists are right—dump the myth and keep the merry." But, asks Phillip Jensen, who is the actual Christmas myth: Jesus or Santa?

What happens when you give third-world children tablet computers . . . without any instructions? Super interesting.

"It is the Lord’s love that has sustained, held, and kept me over the last three years through this trial. It has not been on my own doing or strength to hold onto to him. It is his love that gives hope that there will be a day when there are no more tears. It is his love that reminds me that my joy is not in a fulfilled dream or desire . . . It is his love that protects and guides me. It is his love that gives peace in uncertainty. And ultimately it is his love that sent Jesus into this world as a baby." A beautiful blog post from a friend.

6 comments:

  1. Tell me about declining to glucose test ... why? (I also routinely decline flu shots)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't have any of the risk factors for gestational diabetes, and I already eat a low sugar, high protein diet so I am not at all worried about developing it (and even if I were to do so, the diet they'd recommend would look very similar to what I already eat).

      If I did have some serious risk factors, I think I'd do the post-prandial testing rather than chugging the orange sugar syrup. I looked at the ingredient list on the bottle and it only reaffirmed my decision to decline. :P

      Delete
  2. We just did a finger prick test at the midwife's practice to test my glucose levels...no sugar syrup for me! I didn't have any risk factors, either, and the finger prick test came part of my care, so....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take lots of fish oil!! And keep taking it when nursing and beyond! Be sure to give it to your baby once they start on solids/decrease nursing. It is so important. Check out Dr. Sears' new book "The Omega-3 Effect" (http://www.askdrsears.com/news/latest-news/omega-3-effect). I work for a company (Organic Technologies) that refines omega-3 concentrates from sustainable Alaskan pollock oil. We have our own brand of fish oil supplements you should check out called Wiley's Finest (http://www.wileysfinest.com/WF_ProductsPage.html).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do indeed take my fish oil (Carlson's) but I will check out those links!

      Delete
  4. That Slate article is very moving. Thanks very much!

    And I vouch for the all-around usefulness of fish oil - I take Carlson, too. I have taken it for years and credit it with all the good health I have.

    ReplyDelete